Thursday 14 May 2009

Re: Reading The Martyrology

Usually at these retreats I write up a storm (instead of sit through one, as I did yesterday, snow and the wind so strong). This time I'm at some other stage, mainly reading from a box of books I brought. I brought books I thought might help me find ways into/out from under/through the Hillsdale material. I brought books.

The first five Books of The Martyrology offer ways to be fully present to self and place and always, of course, to language. Fully present to the present and to history. I suppose I wouldn't be considering this Hillsdale material of mine if I didn't suspect it would work (drive my writing, even walk it around the old corners). Reading bp I'm more convinced than ever. Profoundly playful as it is, the M nevertheless gets personal (painfully so at times), gets historical, gets right here, right now, always with "the precision," as Book 4 famously announces, "of openness".

No comments: