Sunday 21 October 2012

Time

I delivered my Convocation Address at Luther yesterday without mixing that text up with my intros for this coming weekend's open mic in Saskatoon. In other words, all the stuff about the pool has been said. Next: the mountain.
I've also drifted into the job as MC for our (that's me, Mike Trussler, Medrie Purdham, Jes Battis and a student rep, Cassandra) creative writing Open House at Luther in November. I seem to be on about keeping a series of readings/performances not stalling. Evenings drag, even with the best stuff, if they go on too long.
I remember Tom Wayman saying Two words that should never go together: open and mic. One of his colleagues at DTUC in Nelson in '81-'82, Fred Wah, used to run what he called oral anthologies, still does. A dozen writers seated on a stage. 3 minutes each at the mic. No stalling there.
I know things are moving when well-known Saskatchewan poets jump up and down--for the first time, I witnessed someone stamping her feet, heels well off the floor with every stamp. Thrilling!--when I tell them, rudely if necessary but not really, their time is up.
Also true for this entry.