Wednesday 20 November 2013

Lag

I can't explain the lag between posts, but I've been teaching. And I'm not sure why this time in the semester brings me out grumpy. This is what I put to my first-year class yesterday:
1
How many people are present in your group right now?
2
How many phones are visible?
3
How many in your group had all three of your journal, Beauty Tips and “Sentence Combining Nov.18” sheet on the table in front of you before I began speaking?
          Reasons this was not done:
4
How many in your group checked URCourses for this class since Monday?
          Reasons this was not done:
5
How many in your group completed the “Sentence Combining Nov.18” (which means all 6 sentences) homework for today?
          Reasons this was not done:
6
How many in your group completed the other homework assignment for today: read (which means think about and prepare questions and observations for) the rest of the “Road to Dawn” chapter of Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw?
          Reasons this was not done:
7
How many in your group can I count on to have read (which means thought about, printed out, and prepared questions and observations for) poem #19 for Friday?
I meant it. They've been a good bunch but had let their standards drop. I tallied the results for each question. The numbers showed very good performance, except for those confused.
We moved on to something else. In the end, I thought I'd made my piont without the usual rant 'n rave.

6 comments:

Bernadette said...

Drag

Brenda Schmidt said...

Um. Is your point ironic?

Pam said...

This made me smile....though I also wanted to call you up and trudge through the snow to buy you a beverage.

Gerald Hill said...

I'm at Beer Bros right now, whoever you are. As for ironic, no!

Gerald Hill said...

Oh right, I just noticed the typo. I'll fix that right now.

Bernadette said...

Oh, very cute, that lag!